Recipe: Gingerbread Slice

There’s no other way to say it, I am a ginger fanatic at this time of year. I love ginger at the best of times but in the lead up to Christmas I can’t get enough of the stuff! Over the last couple of years I’ve made gingerbread cookies, but this year my craving was for something different, a fudgy slice of gingerbread cake. James loves the Jamaican Gingerbread you can buy in the supermarket and I was determined to create a healthy gingerbread recipe that could rival it. I think I succeeded!

Photo 09-12-2012 11 27 05

Gingerbread Cake Slices (makes 12 squares or 8 bigger slices)

• 2 medium eggs
  • 1 cup of pumpkin puree / tinned pumpkin or cooked and pureed squash
  • 1/2 cup of natural caster sugar
  • 2 tbsp black treacle or black strap molasses
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
  • 1 cup of wholegrain spelt flour
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp of baking soda
  • 3 tsp of ground ginger

Pre heat oven to 180c. Combine the eggs, pumpkin or squash, sugar, treacle, coconut oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and ginger and mix until smooth. Pour into a large greased or lined baking tray (I used a tray about 6 x 9 inches) and bake for around 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out with just a few crumbs on it. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy as it is with a dusting of icing sugar or cover with plain icing or a cream cheese frosting or glaze.

Photo 09-12-2012 11 49 08

I actually made this recipe twice, the first time I used black strap molasses which although very similar to black treacle is a little stronger tasting and not as sweet. It still works well, but James preferred the version with the black treacle.

Photo 09-12-2012 11 27 35

The use of the pureed pumpkin or squash, wholegrain flour and coconut oil make this a pretty healthy version which still tastes great. To veganise just replace the eggs with flax eggs or egg replacer (let me know if you try this!) and to make refined sugar free I think coconut palm sugar would work very well.

Photo 09-12-2012 11 49 42

When I made it the second time to take into work for our Secret Santa get together I decided to cut it into bigger slices add a very simple cream cheese glaze (just icing sugar, water and some cream cheese whipped together). It was a bit of a last minute idea but took the cake to a whole new level of deliciousness.

Photo 13-12-2012 14 22 38

Just looking at that picture makes me want to go and grab a slice from the freezer, so good!

Are you a gingerbread fan? Iced or plain?

Comments

1. says

This looks amazing! i am not a big fan of ginger cakes or biscuits i must admit… but this looks very nice, moist and delicious! it is not a huge amount of sugar – do you think that a dark agave syrup would work instead of the treacle/molasses? i can imagine making this into a carrot cake actually – ! thanks for the lovely post

• Laura says

Hi Grace, absolutely I think you could even leave the syrup out if needed. It would definitely make a great carrot cake too!

2. Anna @AnnaTheApple says

Oooh I love gingerbread. And always iced! Cream cheese frosting is delicious and I can imagine it goes very well.
    Anna @AnnaTheApple recently posted…Busy, busy!My Profile

3. says

That looks AMAZING!!! I will be making that at some point for sure- in fact I have some pumpkin puree that needs using up this week (and no eggs) so I might make it to freeze for another time. I love ginger cake- either plain or iced. Or I sometimes toast it and top it with something sweet like orange curd, or even peanut butter- don’t knock it til you’ve tried it! :)
    Maria @ runningcupcake recently posted…Pamper kit winner!My Profile

4. snenny says

This looks insanely delish! I haven’t satisfied my ginger craving this season yet, might have to nail it with this :D

5. says

I’ve missed so many of your posts recently generally because I’ve been a bit off the radar but I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your business venture. How exciting! Lots of warm & well wishes for you. Now, it’s catch-up time!
    Kate recently posted…Goodbye, little carMy Profile

6. snenny says

Just made this for an afternoon boost, using Dove’s Farm Gluten Free Flour Mix. Turned out utterly delish! Topped mine with a little vegan cream cheese and Lyle’s Butterscotch syrup (also vegan, who knew?). NOM. I see GIngerbread cake shake in my future…

7. Jo says

Hi Laura. Just made this for the second time. It is so yummy. Used coconut sugar this time and it was just as good. The texture and flavour are amazing. Thank you so much for this recipe.

8. Jo says