Strawberry Coconut Oaty Buttery Bars

As I am staying with my Aunt and Uncle in Brighton this week I thought it would be nice to take down some baked treats with me. I had a bit of a think about what I could bake that would be vegan and delicious. During a quick browse of recipes in my Evernote account I came across the lovely Katie’s Raspberry Cobbler Bars and Mama Pea’s Berry Breakfast Bars and decided to make something along those lines. This is what I came up with!

Strawberry Coconut Oaty Buttery Bars (makes 9 bars, vegan)

• 1/2 cup of plain whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups of Scottish Oats
  • 1/4 cup of coconut flour (or could sub with more whole wheat flour)
  • 1/4 cup of natural caster sugar
  • 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 4 tbsp of vegan butter, melted (I used pure spread)
  • 3/4 cup of fruit puree (I used apple and pear baby food!)
  • 1/2 cup agave
  • 1 tsp of coconut or vanilla extract

Filling:

• 2 cups or approx 300g of fresh strawberries, half chopped, half mashed
  • 1 tsp of corn flour
  • 1 tbsp of agave

Pre heat oven to 350F / 180c. Combining the flours, oats, sugar, baking powder and coconut in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine the fruit puree, melted pure spread, agave and extract then pour into dry ingredients and combine well. In another separate bowl combine your half mashed and half chopped strawberries with the agave and corn flour, mix until the corn flour has dissolved. Grease an 8×8 square pan (I used spray oil) and place just over half the oaty mix in the bottom pressing down firmly. Spread the strawberries on top, followed by the rest of the oaty mix, I crumbled mine on top of the strawberries. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin then turn out on to a board and cut into squares or bars. Enjoy!

These are wonderful, very reminiscent of a strawberry crumble in bar form! The base is lovely and dense, almost like a flap jack (in fact the oaty mix alone would make a great base for a healthy flapjack) and the subtle coconut and strawberry flavours work so well together. I found the sweetness of these just right, but if you prefer things very sweet then you could add more sugar.

These also have a nice light buttery taste – you could of course try replacing the vegan butter with coconut oil for added coconut flavour!

Yum!

What’s the last thing you baked?

Comments

1. says

Ohh yes please!! These sound so so yum!! They wouldn’t last long around me hehe :)
    Last thing I made were my yeasted cinnamon muffins..and I’m planning on baking something else tomorrow!

2. says

I absolutely love fruit bars like this! These look wonderful and I imagine that they taste even better :D The last thing I baked was some chocolate chip coconut cookies, but I’m feeling the baking bug biting today, so I’ll probably whip up some muffins this afternoon.

3. says

These look so good! I bet any non-vegans that you gave them to wouldn’t even realise that they were vegan! Hope you’re having a fab time in Brighton. x

4. says

They look delicious- love the idea of strawberries and coconut- hope you are having a fab time in Brighton and I bet your relatives love those :)
    I didn’t bake at all this weekend! Shock! So it must be, gosh, not sure- I made fudge last weekend as a gift for a friend I was visiting, so it must be that.

5. Angela says

They look yummy. The last thing that I baked was a hard, burnt sugar tasting lump which was supposed to be chocolate brownies. Apparently there is only so much recipe tweaking you can do before disaster strikes!

6. says

They look so yummy! The last thing I baked…dark chocolate and cherry muffins for my bf, he loves them :) That was weeks ago, must get baking again!
    Hope you’re having a lovely time in Brighton!

7. says

I bake all the time. I occasionally do commissions and events but my problem is mainly the balance between super bad-for-you cupcakes with mountains of icing which I seem to bake so well. And the more health conscious baking which I enjoy baking so much more but unfortunately there isnt much of a demand. My boyfriend was chowing down on some junky milk choc chip cookies yesterday so I threw together some oat and peanut butter drops. Oats, baking powder, agave syrup, apple sauce, lots of peanut butter, a little soya yogurt and cinnamon. So delicious. I will be trying your recipe for sure Laura!

8. says

They even LOOK buttery! ahhh yum! I want to learn how to bake vegan since I can’t bake at all anyways. might as well go big or go home, right? =) hehe

9. says

Mmm these look amazing! I love the flavours of strawberry and coconut together although imagine they’d work well with just about any berry/nut combination? I went berry picking at the weekend so have A LOT of fruit that needs using up, and these look like the perfect thing to do just that :)

10. says

oh WOW these look so good! I think tha last thing that I actually baked was banana and chocolate cookies, but have been doing lots of unbaking, of course!
    X

11. says

I just started writing my comment in the “name” box – you nearly got one written by “Those bars look…”!
    But apart from my stupidity, they look delicious – I don’t think they’d have hung around long enough to be photographed if I’d made them :-)
    Hope you’re having a great time!

12. says

Oh I made these on Tuesday (with a couple of tweaks but pretty much following the recipe, which is good going for me!) and they were sensational! I can’t wait to tinker around with different fruits etc. thanks for sharing and look forward to hearing about your Brighton adventures!