New routines

by Laura Agar Wilson on 04/01/2011

in Uncategorized

Today started with a brand new routine – a new strength workout routine! I usually like to get some strength training in via DVD’s as this fits into my schedule and the time I have available. However, I am now wanting to focus a little more on my strength training so thought I would try and come up with a workout myself that I could do using my dumbbells and stability ball at home. Here’s what I came up with:

• Warm up – jumping jacks, bum kicks, running on the spot, skipping (5 minutes)
  • Chest fly on stability ball (15 reps with 2 x 4.5kg db)
  • Stiff legged dead lift (15 reps with 2 x 4.5kg db)
  • Bent over row with tricep kick back (15 reps with 2 x 2.3kg db)
  • Shoulder press with squat (15 reps with 2 x 4.5kg db)
  • Forward lunges with bicep curl (10 x each leg with 2 x 2.3kg db)
  • Backwards lunges with bicep curl (10 x each leg with 2 x 2.3kg db)
  • Upright row with sumo squat (15 reps with 2 x 2.3kg db)
  • Weighted sit up on stability ball (20 reps with 1 x 4.5kg db)
  • Kneeling push ups (15 reps body weight)
  • Cardio interval – jumping jacks, bum kicks, running on the spot, skipping (2 minutes)

x 3 sets – no rest between exercises or sets

• Stretching and cool down – 5 minutes

This took about 45 minutes to complete.

I came up with this after reading through old magazine articles and looking through Rachel Cosgrove’s Female Body Breakthrough. I was looking for a full body workout. I ordered the exercises to alternate between ones focused on upper body and lower body to try and keep my heart rate up. I really enjoyed doing this but the weights I have available are definitely not heavy enough for some exercises. What I intend to do is repeat this workout at the gym, increasing the weights considerably and lowering the reps. That way I hope I’m getting the best of both worlds. This did work up a good sweat though. I’m hoping to progress my push ups to incline and then hopefully to a full push up in line with my 2011 goal! I know some of you have a lot more experience with strength training than me – what do you think of my plan?

So at the moment my January workout schedule looks like this:

• Monday – Gym – 30 min HIITs, 30 min spin, abs and core exercises
  • Tuesday – 45 min new strength routine (as above), yoga class
  • Wednesday – Gym – 30 min speed interval run (treadmill) 30 minute HIITs, abs and core exercises
  • Thursday – Yoga flow and core strengthening exercises with cardio intervals – 45 min
  • Friday – Gym – 30 min HIITs, new strength routine (as above)
  • Weekend – Gym – 30 min run, 1 hr constant rate cardio

In February I’m hoping to re introduce longer outdoor runs before starting my proper half marathon training plan in March / April.

On to today’s eats! After my workout I made a fab breakfast of a Chocolate Cherry Green Monster smoothie in a bowl. This contained spinach, frozen cherries, 1 scoop of chocolate sun warrior protein powder, almond milk, maca powder, spirulina, milk thistle tincture and ground flax:

CIMG9703

I topped it with some goji berries and pistachios, delicious as always!

When I got to work the office was freezing as the heating system had broken down over Christmas. It was so cold you could see your breath! Luckily our lovely manager said we could work from home, so much for getting back into a routine! I came back and made myself a mug of miso soup with ginger to try and warm back up:

CIMG9706

Lunch was an amazing salad with an even more amazing dressing! This contained sweet hart lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, cucumber, yellow pepper, red onion, carrot, basil tofu and brown and wild rice. I made up a dressing based on Gena’s Green Goddess Dressing:

Green Goddess Dressing (makes 3 – 4 servings)

• 1/4 cup of tahini
  • 1/4 cup of Cool Oil (hemp and flax mix)
  • 1 tbsp of shoyu
  • 1 tsp of sweet white miso paste
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 1 tsp of toasted sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup of parsley
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1/2 cup of water

Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. This tastes gorgeous and is so full of good stuff its unbelievable!

CIMG9710

I also had two sliced kiwi:

CIMG9718

Mid afternoon I snacked on 2 apples with cashew butter for dipping:

CIMG9719

I was still a bit hungry after this so ate another apple ;-)

Dinner was a bowl of mixed vegetable soup, I added some kale which I had in the fridge:

CIMG9725

I also had a couple of oranges:

CIMG9727

As far as the detox plan is going, I feel I’m doing really well. My eats have been very healthy and tasty, I’m so glad that I tried out making that dressing. Its something I probably wouldn’t have bothered with if I hadn’t been on the plan. My sleeping has drastically improved too, I had been getting around 4 hours on average as my brain would just not quiet down, but even though I’m still waking up for the bathroom I’m getting back to sleep straight away. I haven’t felt so rested in weeks!

I’m starting to feel the DOMS from my workout this morning – I’m taking that as a good sign that I’ve worked my muscles! Do you do any strength training? In what way do you incorporate it? Have you ever developed your own workout?

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Helene January 4, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I really like reading your workout plans. They always give me some motivation ;)
Ive been wanting to try some HIIT sessions. How would you do that on the cross trainer????
Regarding your detox plan, do you follow any special plan or do you make up your own one???

Laura January 4, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Hi Helene – I do my HITTs on the cross trainer by doing either 1 minute at a medium intensity (so your out of breath but could still sing a song) then 1 minute hard (by increasing the resistance – you should be very out of breath an unable to hold a conversation, I usually do this for 10 – 15 mins. At the moment I do 30 secs medium, 30 secs medium hard and then 30 seconds hard. I just made up my own detox plan based on information I’ve read and my own health goals – I posted it a couple of days ago if you want to have a look :-)

celeryandcupcakes January 4, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I have done strength training in the past and followed some of the workouts on http://www.fitnessmagazine.com. They have some great sequences on there if you get stuck for some ideas.

thehabitofhealthy January 4, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I’ve never really done any strength training, even though I probably should! Glad to hear the plan is going well and that you’re getting lots of sleep.

Cat January 4, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I used to just do body pump and that was okay, but I started doing the body for life workouts and have seen real changes and muscle growth after only 6 weeks of it (only problem is that all those muscles are still covered in fat!). You do 3 weight sessions a week, alternating upper and lower body, and do moves outlined in the book. You are also meant to do 3 20 minutes HIIT cardio sessions and follow a strict eating plan, but I am really failing at those bits.

Alison January 4, 2011 at 9:21 pm

That looks like a good routine: you’re hitting the major muscle groups, and the compound movements will keep your HR up.

Only 2 small suggestions: you might consider some hyper extensions for your lower back. And also, if one of your goals is to get to full pushups, then I would put them further up the routine. If you always do them when tired (at the end) then you won’t see much progress in terms of pushup strength.

These are things that you can also consider on your next training cycle though, in 4-6 weeks. I’m excited to see how you get on!

Maria January 4, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I have not made my own strength workouts up- yours sounds good and it will be great to see how you get on with it :)

emmaburhouse January 4, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Hey! I’m new to your blog and just been catching up on a few older posts. I love your goals for 2011!
I am also a massive massive fan of Rachel’s Organic Yogurt, I love the Vanilla. I bought so much as it was on offer in Tesco last week! Great to read from another UK blogger.
Good luck for 2011mxx

tam January 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Great workout! I try to do at least 2 strength workouts a week, I did more but I need to up the cardio right now to try and shift some weight! Loving the eats, I had basil tofu today as well! x x

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I like your strength training plan! Looks good! :D I usually do my own strength workouts at home, based on moves learned from BodyPump, exercise DVD’s etc.
Glad to hear your detoz plan’s going well! Your eats look amazing as always! :)

FatToLean January 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Just being out of it for 3weeks(bad weather and holidays) I think I’ll be in agony anyway. Same power moves for me. Well done, looks like you can polish your halo today x

thisiscoolbeans January 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I definitely need to get a real plan going for strength training – I don’t know much about it, but yours looks great. I’ll have to add that to my list of resolutions! ;)

And I’ve heard so much about that dressing – I need to make it!

misszippy January 5, 2011 at 12:01 am

Improved strength training is one of those areas that is a goal for me this year. I think your plan looks solid.

Laura January 5, 2011 at 10:02 am

Jemma – thanks for that link, the website looks great

Stacey – thanks, I’m feeling so much better

Cat – that programme sounds really good, glad your seeing results

Alison – I was so hoping that you would comment! Thanks for those tips I will definitely be taking on board your advice, thanks!

Maria – thanks, fingers crossed I will see some progress!

Emma – I haven’t tried the vanilla yoghurt but that sounds delicious! Glad you like the blog!

Tam – you can’t beat that basil tofu, I love it!

Emma – glad you like the training plan, I have taken a lot of inspiration from moves in my DVD’s and just made the weights heavier!

Fattolean – thanks, I do try and stay angelic!

thisiscoolbeans – you should try the dressing it is delicious!

miss zippy – thanks, glad you think the plan looks good. Good luck with your strength training goals!

Cynthia January 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Great at home strength workout. I find that when I create my own workouts, I don’t push myself as hard as when I work out with DVD’s.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans January 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I am definitely not a strength training expert, but I’ve had great luck with some DVD workouts!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm

You know I LOVE strength workouts. They are my favorite. The one you came up with looks awesome. Great job!

And I haven’t had Green Goddess dressing in a long time. I used to get Annie’s. Love it!

Jennifer June 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm

nope dont have the ingredients! =( i will have to make a note to pick this stuff up! the dressing looks so so good!